Hi guys! These cupcakes are simply delicious! The cupcake is almost like a blueberry muffin, topped with a homemade cream cheese frosting. The two fruits make it taste so sweet and the frosting is irresistible! Let me know if you make them yourself and let me know what you think!
- 1 and 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice, divided
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- 1 large egg plus one egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- For the orange cream cheese frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, very soft
- (1) 8 ounce block full fat cream cheese
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- To decorate:
- candied oranges
- For cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees *line 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside
- in a medium bowl combine 1 and 3/4 cups flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a separate bowl combine the sour cream, milk, and 2 tablespoons of orange juice; whisk well to combine and set aside. Place blueberries in a small bowl; add remaining orange juice and toss to coat blueberries; add remaining flour and toss to coat the berries in the flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl using a mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds. add in granulated sugar and orange extract (if using) and beat until well combined. add in egg and egg yolk and mix well. reduce mixer speed to low. add 1/2 of the flour mixture and mix until combined (about 5 seconds) add 1/2 sour cream mixture and mix until combined. repeat with remaining flour and sour cream mix, mix only until combined. fold in the floured berries and orange zest.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 16-20 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once cupcakes are cooled, frost and decorate them.
- For orange cream cheese frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Reduce speed to low and gradually add in powdered sugar and orange juice, beat until light and fluffy. about 2 min. add in the vanilla extract, orange extract (if using) and orange zest. beat smooth.
- To decorate:
- Top each cupcake with a candied orange slice and a few blueberries.